| Notes |
- Robert McCready was born in Scotland March 28, 1752. Sailed from White Haven, England, 3 May 1772. Landed in New York 29 July 1772. Engaged in farming in New Jersey in 1772. Taught school in York County, PA from 1773 to 1776.
In 1776 he joined the Flying Camp from York County, PA before they crossed the Susquehanna River; marched to Philadelphia, then went by boat to Neward; marched to Princeton, N.J., where he heard a sermon in Princeton College. Marched from there to Newark, to Paulus Hook, a fortified point, now the heart of Jersey City. here they were in all some 5000 militia in the engagement with the British.
British ships having almost destroyed the fort, the Colonials retreated to Bergen, N.J. Robert McCready was incapacitated and sent by wagon to Trnton Hospital. After he partially recovered he came to the Fort at Pittsburgh, PA. Here he was examined by "the first men of the place" and asked to teach but did not take the posisiton.
On 1 January 1777 Robert bought a "land jobbers claim" upon a tract of land that is now Jefferson Township, Washington County, PA, then Augusta, Virginia. After he settled there, in addition to clearing and working his farm, he taught school at Wells Fort near his home. Soon after, he was elected a Justice of the Peace, which position he held for many years. That this was a very important office at the time may be seen from the fact that the office of Justice of the Peace was a judicial position conduction both civil and criminal courts.
Robert married Anne Levine (born 15 April 1759 in Scotland and died 30 June 1836) in Cross Creek on 14 February 1779. They had eleven children.*
Robert was active in establishing the Presbyterian Church on the border and was elected a ruling Elder in the Cross Creek Presbyterian Church in 1792. He was elected County Commissioner of Washington County, PA in 1797 and served as an adjutant in the Lisbon Campaign in the War of 1812.
Robert McCready was a successful farmer, accumulating 1000 acres of land in Washington County, PA; 1000 acres of land in Richland and Ashland Counties, Ohio, and 380 acres in Hanover Township, Columbiana County, Ohio. A great deal of this land still remains in possession of his descendents.
Robert died 10 August 1846 and was buried in Cross Creek Graveyard, Cross Creek, Washington, Co, PA (now the pan handle of W VA).*
(The above was compiled by Robert J. McCready, M.D. and privately printed in Pittsburgh, PA in 1931 - except the two paragraphs marked *)
Below is an excerpt from History of the Presbytery of Washington : including a brief account of the planting of the Presbyterian church in Western Pennsylvania and parts adjacent, with sketches of pioneer ministers and ruling elders : also sketches of later ministers and ruling elders published in 1889.
Robert McCready, Esq., was born in Scotland in 1752. He came to America in 1772, and taught school in York County, Pa.; went out with a company of volunteers from Harford County, Md., and served his country in the War of the Revolution. From the hospital at Trenton, N. J., he returned to York County, and thence to Pittsburgh, and joined a company of friends on Montours Run. He came to Cross Creek about 1777. He and two companions held meetings at their homes, and were soon joined by other neighbors; and this is known as the Irish Ridge Society in the history of the congregation. He was elected an elder near the close of the pastorate of Rev. Joseph Smith. Mr. McCready was noted for his piety, benevolence and eminent Christian life. He was powerful in prayer, and is spoken of as " the praying McCready." In
the minutes of session we find this record : " He descended to the grave loved, respected and lamented by the whole congregation." He died August 10, 1846.
The following information is from Boyd Crumrine, "History of Washington County, Pennsylvania with Biographical Sketches of Many of Its Pioneers and Prominent Men" (Philadelphia: L. H. Leverts & Co., 1882).
Jefferson Twp. (pp. 836-842)
History of Washington County, Pennsylvania*
JEFFERSON township is bounded on the north by Hanover, on the east by Smith and Cross Creek, on the south by Independence, and on the west by the State of West Virginia. The township is watered by Cross Creek (which forms its southern boundary against Independence) and its branches, and by the waters of Harmon's Creek on the north. The territory now within the limits of Jefferson township was included in Hopewell, one of the thirteen original townships formed in 1781. On the 1st of September, 1789, the township of Cross Creek was formed by action of the Court of Quarter Sessions, confirmed by the Supreme Executive Council, and then embraced the territory that is now Cross Creek, Jefferson, and part of Mount Pleasant. The territory now Jefferson remained within the jurisdiction of Cross Creek until 1853. During the winter of 1852-53 a petition of citizens of Cross Creek township was presented to the Court of Quarter Sessions praying that the western portion of Cross Creek be formed into a separate township. Viewers were appointed who made an examination, and at the June term of court of 1853 they made a report, which was confirmed, and on the 16th of June of that year the court ordered the territory mentioned in the petition to be formed into "a township to be called Jefferson township."
Settlements. - The following list, gathered from the assessment-roll of Cross Creek township for the year 1791, embraces the names of property-holders at that time in that part of Cross Creek which afterwards became and is now the township of Jefferson, viz:
Acres. Acres.
Edward Brown.................260 | Ann Levens......................200
John Brown...................200 | Samuel Leeper...................300
Caleb Brown.................. 84 | William McGarragh...............
Joshua Brown.................180 | Robert McCready.................300
James Cresswell..............100 | John Morrison, Sr...............150
John Crist...................340 | Joseph Morrison..................58
Nicholas Crist............... | Hugh Newell.....................316
James Clark..................200 | John Pough or Pogue.............275
William Clark.................25 | Robert Robb.....................300
David Davis..................200 | Elisha Robinson.................125
James Dunbar................. | Thomas Robinson.................100
John Gardner..................50 | James Watson....................250
John Leeper...................50
Robert McCready, whose name appears on the preceding list of property-holders in 1791, and who was one of the earliest settlers within the limits of the present township of Jefferson, was a native of Scotland, who came to this country in 1772, and after working for a time in New Jersey, went to York County, Pa., where he became a school-teacher. On the opening of the Revolution he entered the service with a York County battalion, and with it joined the body known as the "Flying Camp," under Washington. He served several months, then returned to York County, and in 1776 came to Western Pennsylvania, and made location on a tract of land of three hundred and thirty-two acres, called "Good Will," situated on Scott's Run, a branch of Cross Creek, about one mile east of the State line, in what is now Jefferson township, it being the same that is now owned and occupied by his grandson, Robert William McCready.
Mr. McCready was married soon after making his location on the tract mentioned, and he became a school-teacher here, as he had been in York County. He taught school in Richard Wells' fort, which was one of the earliest schools in all the region west of the Monongahela. He was present when the first sermon was preached at that fort by the Rev. J. Powers in September, 1778. He was the first person who signed the "religious agreement" originated by Judge Edgar, and he selected the site of the edifice of the Cross Creek Church, of which he was elected an elder in 1792. He was elected county commissioner in 1797; was adjutant in the militia for many years, and served in that capacity under Col. John Vance, in what was called the "Lisbon campaign," in 1812. He was a large, fine-looking officer, with an unusually powerful voice, well adapted for military command. In politics he was a Federalist, and a leading spirit in that party in his section. He died Aug. 10, 1846, at the age of ninety-four years, his death being immediately caused by a cancer on his right hand. He was buried in the Cross Creek graveyard, where his resting-place is marked by a modest monument. His son David settled in the vicinity of his father's farm. The homestead came into possession of his son William, who occupied it till his death, which occurred on the day of the first election of Abraham Lincoln as President of the United States, Nov. 6, 1860. His son, Robert W. McCready, is, as before mentioned, the owner and occupant of the farm on which his grandfather settled in 1777.
Notes from the research of contributor Elsetta Alexander Torres in December 2014:
Immigrated from Scotland in 1772 at the age of 20. Sailed from Whitshaven, England 3 May 1772. Landed in New York 29 July 1772, Went to Pa. by water and land stage. Planned to go home, worked in N.J. a short time then went to York Co via Wilmington, Delaware. Lay with the Agne for 5 months. Last of Apr 1743 visited some Scotish families and began to teach school. Taught there 2 years,then Maryland from 1775-76. Joined York Co. 4 month enlistment marched to Bergen and Pellas Hook now N.J.without order, saw flag put down, city given up. (New York) in 1776. Joined expedition to Fort Pitt and took up land district then West Augusta Co, Va later to Washington Co Pa.In 1779 he volunteered in the 1779 Army of the Volunteer in what was called the Flying Camp and served with George Washington. In the spring of 1777 he came out to Pittsburg with a friend and bought land and built a farm,in Jefferson twnsp, Washington Co. Pa. He had to fought with the Indians until 1783. In 1779 he picked the site and drove the stake for the church of Cross Creek, He also said in the history of his life that he helped to clear and fence the graveyard with his own hand. In 1792 he was chosen as one of the ruling elders, which position he held until his death. He was for more than half a century a justice of the peace- Was elected Com. in 1797. In the war of 1812, he served as adjutant general in a short campaign-from Cross Creek death rec. Extensive land owner in Washington Co Pa, and in Richland, Ashland and Columbiana Ohio.
Tax list in Richland County, Ohio in 1820, 21, 1825 and 26:
From History of Ashland Co
After his arrival in the U.S. he worked for a time on a farm near New Jersey. He then went to York Co. Pa. where he engaged in teaching school until the outbreak of the Revolutionary War, when he took up arms for the cause of independence and served under General Washington. When liberty was won he returned to York Co. Pa. and soon afterwards he removed to Washington Co. settling on a farm of 300 and 32 acres near Eldersville, now owned by his grandson M.W. McCready (this was in the 1890's). In 1812 he again took up arms against England. Serving as adjutant in the Lisbon Regiment. He was a man of commanding presence with a voice of unusual strength and power and this fitted him well for military command. He died in 1846 at the age of 94, his remains being intered in Cross Creek Cem. Washington Co., Pa.
From "Historical Sketches of Cross Creek" (http://www.fortvance.org/FV_Docs/Historical_Sketches_of_Cross_Creek_Valley.pdf):
One of the earliest white men to come to the area was Robert McCready who settled around 1777 on a tract of 322 acres, patented to him as "Goodwill" or "Robert's FancY''; the patent being dated September 11, 1786. Descendants of Mr. McCready lived on and operated this farm until recent. years when it was sold to the Penowa Coal Company. Some of the buildings which had stood on the farm for many years were removed and reconstructed at Meadowcroft Village by Albert Miller. The farm is. slated to be "stripped" for coal, since the coal vein here is of shallow depth.
At Cross Creek Village, we are told, the first school sessions were . held in the old log church building erect.ed in 1779, when Joseph Patterson was the teacher. Robert McCready taught at an early date in Wells Fort, and as the years went by, a number of schools were opened in various parts of the valley. .One of these was on the former Welch farm near Mt. Hope Church in Independence Township, and another was located near the stream, Cross Creek, in the vicinity of present Penowa.
|